Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Strasbourg, France

This past weekend, we had Monday and Tuesday off so Emily, Bri, and I decided to drive to Strasbourg, France. We didn't really know what to expect from Strasbourg, we just wanted to go outside of Switzerland within reasonable driving distance. It took us about 3 hours to get to Strasbourg. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't great for this trip, but that didn't keep us from having a good time. It was pretty cold and rained the whole first day we were there. We walked all over Strasbourg and saw so many neat things. In the center of town, there was a huge Notre Dame cathedral that was really impressive. One of the main attractions of Strasbourg is the area known as Petite France. I absolutely loved this part of town. All of the buildings had such charm with the wooden accents, shutters, and flower boxes. Petite France reminded me of some of the scenes from Beauty and the Beast. We also had some really good food while in Strasbourg. We had lunch at a cute little restaurant called Le Gruber. We enjoyed a great meal in such a neat environment, the inside of the restaurant was decorated in a very warm, yet rustic style. After walking around town all afternoon, we decided to eat at a restaurant on the river in Petite France. The restaurant was called La Corde A Linge, which means the clothes line. The inside of the restaurant had a much more modern decor than where we ate for lunch. It was simply decorated with clothes lines and clothes pins with white laundry hanging from the ceilings. The service was great and my salmon was probably the best meal I've had since I've been here. We couldn't resist ordering dessert either haha. After dinner we walked around and found a neat little bar where we had some drinks before heading to bed. The next morning, we woke up and made sure to find a little cafe where I had a cafe au lait and a croissant. We walked around the town some more and made sure to buy some souvenirs for ourselves and family. Then we made the 3 hour drive back home to Saignelegier. We all loved Strasbourg and it's charm so much that we are thinking about going back sometime before Christmas. One of the other main attractions of Strasbourg that we did not get to experience is it's Christmas market, which begins at the end of November. The entire town was setting everything up while we were there and it made us really want to go back. So, hopefully we will have the opportunity to go back to enjoy some holiday spirit. For those of you that don't know, I absolutely love Christmas time. My roommate, Emily, and I have been listening to Christmas music on our computers since the beginning of November haha. Being away from home and family during Christmas really makes you appreciate all the simple things about the holiday season...decorating the house and Christmas tree, watching Christmas movies, and seeing all the houses lit up at night with Christmas lights. But, don't worry...we will try our best here to make ourselves feel at home. We are planning on buying a Christmas tree, decorations, and lights. Listen to me going on and on about Christmas! Its not even Thanksgiving yet haha! Ok, this entry is long enough...next I'll fill you in on our trip to Barcelona (we're going this coming weekend) and Thanksgiving :)

The cathedral with some shops

Em and I getting into the French spirit haha

A neat little courtyard

There was a Super Mario mushroom randomly placed on the wall haha

Lunch at Le Gruber

Taken walking around Petite France

This one already had Christmas decorations :)

Em and I with our desserts at La Corde A Linge

Loved Strasbourg!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I hope you don't mind, I've come across your blog while researching my roots and find your post here so very interesting and FUN to read. ... Well, this here's where my family hails from - the lower Alsace / Strasbourg, France region nearest Switzerland at the Rhine river of course - (whew!) and where I want to go visit someday(at 54, I must start playing lottery-lol!)... The families from this part emigrated to U.S. to the French quarter of Ohio - Russia/Shelby Ohio and were farmers there; they were here for the Civil War. My grandparents met and married and moved to Illinois. In 1930's-40's on Chicago's very poor west side, my grandparents and my dad's 2 older sisters still understood/spoke French growing up (but not my dad because he was the 2nd youngest out of 8 (surviving) Frossard/ Echemann children and that whole bilingual thing apparently must not have trickled down to my dad by the time it'd been his turn to learn French, too bad, though!). And so my dad tells me that his parents would speak French to each other whenever they didn't want the younger children to know what they were saying; sounds familiar, huh?!. ... So this is where I dream of visiting and staying for a month or 2 someday and bringing my kids, Kathryn and Michelle and my niece Lucy and any other family that want to come along -- I have to remember to play the lottery lol. Truthfully, reading your blog is one of the most authentic experiences I'll ever come close to in getting to see the place...So Thanks very much for sharing, and for reading my comment, I really did enjoy your postings/blog. Thanks for that! Enjoy life :) Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... also enjoyed your beautiful photos. THANKS! Margaret

    ReplyDelete