Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Off-day fun around Switzerland

Ok, sorry for falling off the face of the blogging world. I have been saving groups of photos on my desktop to put in my blog for a very long time...I just simply haven't gotten around to writing any new entries. So, I have a lot of catching up to do :) Lately, most of my adventures have been around Switzerland on our days off, so I will fill you in on a few things we've done over the past month.

BERN

Emily, Kristin, Tara, and I went walking around Bern (Switzerland's capital), for the day just to get out of our little town. In Bern, we saw the Einstein Haus, where Einstein used to study. Also, Bern is known for its bears, so we visited the park and ate lunch alongside the Aare River.

While walking across the bridge to visit the bears, we stopped to have someone take a picture of the 4 of us. Meanwhile, a flock of Malaysian tourists spotted us and little did we know we'd be sitting there 15 minutes later still taking pictures. And when I say a flock, I'm talking about somewhere around 65 people or so. I don't know if they thought we were famous, or if they thought we were Swiss natives...either way, they were excited to take pictures with us. It was like little kids waiting in line at Disneyland to take a picture with Mickey, just 1 group after the other approached us wanting a picture together. It became hard for us to contain our laughter after about 10 pictures or so. They were all so nice and friendly and it certainly made for a good story. After taking countless pictures with them, we asked for one of them to take a picture with our camera so we could document this funny moment.

GRINDELWALD
On another off day, we all decided to drive into a small town at the base of the Swiss Alps called Grindelwald. Grindelwald is known for it's ski resort during the winter. My Dad and I went tabogganing at the resort last February. The resort has a special taboggan course where you fly down the mountain, we had a blast. Anyway, Grindelwald is even prettier before its covered in snow. We all took the gondola up the mountain and went ziplining. It was a short ride, but now I can say I've gone ziplining in the Alps...not many people can say that! The views were amazing and we all had a great time.

A typical chalet in Grindelwald

Taken on the gondola ride up the mountain

A lodge at the top where we enjoyed some coffee and the view

Self timer group shot...fun bunch of girls

We decided to walk back down the mountain rather than take the gondola, Kristin and Tara decided to hang out with the cows.



No comments:

Post a Comment